Question 1


In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

I think that the purpose of a music video is to represent what the band is like; it is so much more effecting than an interview in a magazine or just the CD cover.  As I decided to do an Indie music video, I knew straight away that I would have a performance based video; this is very common in the Indie rock genre.  I used Andrew Goodwin’s theory of visual relations as the visuals in the video create a completely different mood to a conventional music video, as it is nearly completely red and almost sinister. When shooting my video, I took into account the types of shots that a typically in an indie rock music video. Using the different lenses also had a significant effect on the quality of my music video, as makes it rather unique. The wide angle lens was very impressive when using it for the drumming shots as well as the long shot of the whole stage/band.

My Digipak and magazine advert both conform to forms and conventions of an Indie rock album cover and poster. They both are inspired by existing products. The front cover is inspired by ‘Dear Science’ by TV on the Radio, and the Back cover of the Digipak in inspired by the back of ‘Contra’ Vampire Weekend. Both of these bands an indie rock bands, fans of these bands would also like The Fratellis, the target audience would recognise my cover as an Indie Rock cover, without even knowing the band. I think that looking at real life products and emulating their style is a very effective way to create a Digipak and poster. 

The location of my video was essential in making sure I conform to the conventions of an Indie music video, as well as being aesthetically pleasing. It is on a stage which is a typical venue for an Indie band to play. The location is empty apart from the band, which makes the video seem isolated and lonely.  The target audience will relate the location as they have been t concerts before, as well as maybe playing gigs themselves.  These are the times where the target audience are enjoying themselves, so watching this video will be nostalgic.  It also creates a sense of escapism. The band also consists of people that could easily be part of the target audience that they are trying to attract.
My video is also applicable to Katz and Bulmer's Uses and Gratification theory. The video ensured that my target audience felt a connection and identify with the band. The band are so similar to the target audience and could easily be friends with them 

No comments:

Post a Comment